Sunday, May 8, 2011

I’m still here!!

Hi all!! 

I haven’t done a post in months as you probably already know, but I will try to get back to a semi-regular routine.  I had a difficult winter which I prefer not to discuss and had considered closing the blog down completely.  I may still do that but in the meantime I’m going to do some posts until I decide one way or the other. 

This post will be relatively short, a cheese box re-do that I actually finished up last summer but never got a chance to post.  I just checked a previous post and realize that I did post a pic that had the box in it, but didn’t feature the box itself.

This was purchased for 50 cents at a rummage sale and had 2 layers of paint on it, a horrible peach on top of a seafoam green (oh, the 80s!  lol).  I think it sat in my shed for at least a  year and perhaps two before I decided that I really wanted to get it stripped and stained.

1290

Here’s a view of the top, I love the split in the wood!

1291

It was a very tough job to get the paint off and I almost ruined it by using the wrong tool for the job.  I did keep working on it to remove my mistake and it worked for the most part… but I’m not telling anyone what I did wrong, so let’s hope you don’t notice!  Open-mouthed smile  I did have to leave bits of the green paint on the lid but I think it looks great and adds to the fact that it’s an old piece.

Here it is!  I love the grain that I was able to uncover (no idea of the type of wood but it’s not overly thick).  I finished the outside of the box with Briwax but I left the inside as it was, as I’m not using it for storage at the moment…  and by the time I got to this point I had almost tossed it to the curb!!  

IMG_4260

Here’s the lid with the split and bits of green paint.. love it!

IMG_4259


Thanks for checking in with me again, I do appreciate it.  Future posts will feature my bathroom re-do, more refinishing projects and another travel post… Smile

Wishing all moms a very Happy Mother’s Day!! 

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Great looking cheese box. Can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley, I have missed your posts, my friend..you did a great job on the cheese box..I have never seen one of those..what do you think you might store in it??

    hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day to you. The cheesebox turned out lovely. Have a wonderful day.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day Hayley! I hope it is a great one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Barb, probably nothing, the lid is sort of hard to take off..lol

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...