Monday, October 4, 2010

A dry sink!!

I am so excited!!  After many years of desperately wanting a dry sink, I finally have one.  My Facebook friend and fellow blogger Rochelle (see previous post) found it on Craigslist, contacted the vendor and negotiated a lower price, then went to pick it up for me.  This transaction took place over the course of a couple of weeks…. I really admire and appreciate Rochelle’s dedication!

On Sat. she brought it to me in Ontario, Canada, from her home near Pt. Huron, Michigan, I think the drive is about 1.5 hours in total, one-way.. and of course having to deal with Customs both ways isn’t exactly a fun prospect!  What a generous thing for her to do, I really appreciate her bringing this to me, but it makes me wish that I had a van!  She had to be home by early afternoon so we went out quickly to pick up some Briwax then off for a nice lunch.  I really had a blast chatting with her and I look forward to having a new friend to visit and go shopping with when I cross the border.

Now what would an awesome prim purchase be without pics??  Before pics:

 drysink1

There’s a lot of varnish on this and lots of dings and nicks..  nothing a ton of sanding can’t fix!   :D

drysink3 

This is exactly what I’ve always wanted, the actual sink part plus a small counter with a drawer underneath.  I also love the shelf on top.. any extra display space is always a good thing!

drysink4

These pics were all taken by the vendor for his ad.  He said he had purchased it in 1971 and it wasn’t new at the time, so the age is questionable but it’s at least 40 years old.

After pics:

002

Before tweaking..  nice shot of my butter churn!!

006

Moved a few things around, added a few things plus fall decor

004

Close-up of the top..

005

I put this one in to show the knob.. replaced the white porcelain with the glass one that matches the one on the shelf above.  The dry sink is now in my kitchen, but originally I wanted to put it beside my front door.  Despite measuring before I got it, the space by the front door is actually too small.. LOL.. so I moved a few things around and it’s in my kitchen.  I love it!

005

Since Rochelle wouldn’t take money for gas or her time, I gave her this Valor kerosene heater as a thank-you.  I have another one so I was happy to give my extra heater to someone who loves it as much as I do.  Thanks Rochelle!!! <3

12 comments:

  1. looks good! What a lovely thing for a friend to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Lucky you! I have been wanting a dry sink for a long time also...maybe my time is getting closer...lol!!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet thing do do!!! Lucky you.....what a wonderful friend. Love the dry sink. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!! Brenda, you just never know.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful dry sink. I just mentioned in my last blog entry how much my dry sink is my favorite spot in the house. Congrats on finally getting one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I always say prim friends are the bestest! That is super sweet of Rochelle!! She's too sweet.. I think I would have kept this one for myself and not told you about it, lol! Really, that's an awesome dry sink Hayley, love it and love the way you've decorated it! Yes, extra display space is always a good thing! I bet this was fun to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol Angie! Yes, Rochelle is awesome and just a fun person! Hope you can meet her, you've got to come up this way! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. =] One of these years girl, I'll be up your way! I've always wanted to go anywhere in Canada. My parents have friends up there and go every couple of years. I'm gonna hop on one of their future trips. I'll have to find out where they go. I'll be knocking on your door... Surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I just now saw your post about the dry sink! Thanks for all the kind comments--the pleasure was mine. What a fun day we had!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hayley! I was looking for a picture of a Dry Sink, Googled it and your post came up! What a lovely thing for Rochelle to do, you must be so made up!
    I'm new to Blog Land too...my Blog Birthday is July! I've only just been able to leave comments, as I was having problems...I can leave them now, but don't know how, it just happened!
    Your Dry Sink looks fantastic and I wish you many happy years together!
    Love and Blessings!
    Karen in England xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen, nice to meet you! Yes, Rochelle is definitely a sweet person, I was so lucky to have her help. Check out a recent post, I've moved and re-purposed the dry sink. Take care! :D

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...