Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Before & After.. and a new trend :D

Ok, no actual “before” pic ... can you believe it??  I bought a small wooden bookshelf at a yard sale a few weeks ago for $2... I think it’s maple and very solid.. it’s one of those shelves you see a lot of with kids’ bedroom furniture.. 2 shelves and about 28” tall?  Ok, you get the (after) picture, well you will in a sec.. lol.  I thought I’d use it in the front hall closet for shoes but then measured and realized it would fit in my linen closet instead… to replace the metal 2-drawer filing cabinet I thought was a great idea a few months back.  Here’s a pic of the fake wood back piece that I removed... the shelf actually had 2 layers of paint and a layer of that wood conditioner that never comes off!

003 

You can see that it was barn red at one time but the actual shelf looked more like an ugly brown.  After removing the backing and as much of the paint as I could possibly get off, I decided to paint it (did try to stain it but it was blotchy).  I have to confess that since it was going in my linen closet I wasn’t too worried about getting it perfect so I used my leftover kitchen wall paint.  I used pine beadboard pieces on the back and painted the whole thing with the green (which looks more grey-green on the shelf); this was just painted and left, I didn’t do any sanding or staining to this piece, and I actually like it as it is now.  Here it is with my new woven bins and all my shampoo, bodywash and other assorted crap… don’t look too closely…. lol.  You can see the beadboard at the back.. what do you think?  I love how it turned out, just wish I had taken a “before” pic. 

002 

I then decided to start a new trend.. LOL.. I put decals on the front of the linen closet door.. I think they’re a bit crooked but who cares, right?  :)  I tried to re-position but the paint started to come off so they’re on there until I sell the house someday then the new owners can enjoy them! :D

001 

So why don’t most of us decorate our interior doors??  I’ve often thought of doing something interesting but I always seem to end up with cheap hollow-core doors and there is only so much you can do with them.  I thought this was a good idea and decided to just go for it.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

12 comments:

  1. I love your new painted shelf!
    And, I know you said not to look to closely, but it was just too tempting not to since you said it, so I enlarged and scoured your shelves. And let me tell you, you are one organized lady :P
    I like the decals on the door too...I think you have put a little seed in my brain now.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janene.. LOL.. thanks for the laugh. If you tell me not to, I'll do it.. so I totally understand! I LOVE organizing, it's my passion. I was hired to organize a house 2 years ago, loved it! Of course, I also have messy parts of my house (not in pics of course!!!).. it never ends. Have a great week also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayley, the shelf turned out so nice, love it, and I think putting a quote on your interior doors is a great idea, why didn't I think of it!
    Way to go!
    Hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb.. thanks! I know, why didn't I think of it before as well? Maybe I did start a trend.. who knows? lol.. hugs to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a GREAT job Hayley! Oh and I think we use the same soap! JK I didnt look... yet! LOL
    Hugs Brandi~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your before and after turned out fabulous!!
    What a cute idea your decal is.
    Great job.
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shelf looks great! Don't worry, I have a tendacy to forget before pics also. I blame it on 'too much on our mind'...LOL

    The decal looks great! It doesn't look crooked from the pic. I hang things on our doors all over the house. Extra space to display things :) I use those 3M tape/hook thingies so I don't need to put nails in the doors. I always have done this and will continue since I am limited on space to hangs things.

    I hope you are having a great Wed, the weather here is beautiful and they are calling for a really nice weekend! YEAH! Time to enjoy the deck...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tammy & Sandy!! Do those 3M things really work?? I keep eying them then walk away.. lol. Nails in hollow-core doors are always a risky idea! I hope we also have a nice weekend for a change.. no rain would be great! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since my Face Book was stolen by scammer/spammers I am saying hi over here! If you get a chance and do not know this Prim blogger go visit http://cedarcreekprimitivesshop.blogspot.com/
    The shelf turned out beautifully. You are one talented lady and I like the writing on your wall(er..door)! Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I think that's a great transformation! What an awesome new shelf unit for 2 bucks! Can't beat that. I love the beadboard behind it and it's a pretty color. Looks like everything you need is right there.

    I love those vinyl words. I bought some sheets of vinyl to run through my Cricut machine to make my own sayings. Haven't done it yet, but one of these days I'll get around to it.

    Looks good Hayley!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne, is that what happened? That's unfortunate, don't know what they expected to gain from it. Thanks for the lovely compliment.

    Angie.. you have a cricut?? OMG girl, I'll be right there!!! LOL.. thanks for the compliment about the shelf, I didn't think of the beadboard right away, but once I did I thought it would work well, so happy it did! I might have to use that idea again :D

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...