Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Still a work in progress!

Hey all…

The cold and rainy weather is gone finally.. and how!  It was blistering hot yesterday here in Ontario, nicer today but still humid.  I spent yesterday, our Victoria Day holiday, in the backyard continuing to work on my garden and getting sunburned.. still in pain today!  Crazy to think that I broke down last week and put the heat back on, then had to put the central air on last night.. lol. 

If you saw my previous post, these pictures might be familiar:

002 005

This is what it looks like now after working on it bit by bit over the past couple of weeks:

004 

I touched up the paint on the old wicker rocker (well, it’s just a chair now, didn’t really need the rockers so off they came), added some bright pink geraniums and lime green sweet potato vine in the old canning pot.. I just love the contrast of colours!  I also bought a purple wave petunia that I planted beside the chair.. never had one of those so I thought I’d try it in hopes that it fills in the space.   Behind the petunia is a metal child’s wagon I picked up at a yard sale last summer, I think I paid $2 or $3 for it; it’s planted up with pansies and impatiens.  I dug out as much of the grass from this area as I could but it’s just such exhausting work that last weekend I put down a few layers of newspaper and plopped a bunch of mulch on top, and added a brick border.  I’m just going to leave it as is for at least the next year, my yard is quite large and there is still a ton of work to do so I’ll move on from here.  I just need to get a LOT more mulch to add around the cedar trees and to the section to the right.  I added some plants to that area as well but didn’t get a pic.  Oh, actually I wanted to add a climbing plant to the clothesline pole..  so I guess I’m not done!  lol..

Closeups of the wave petunia and the wagon:

001 

002 

I just love that purple!  There is also a regular petunia that I added beside the back wheel of this wagon after I took the pic. 

I also worked on another section of my garden yesterday, this is actually the first section I worked on 2 years ago when I started with an empty yard.  I had some help from my ex-MIL who loves to garden, but I don’t know what she planted and it got quite overgrown over the past two years.  I didn’t get a pic of the overall area, but here’s a closeup of the annoying plant that took over:

001  

I did try to give it away but had no takers so it all came out yesterday.  It seems to be very invasive, even popping up in the grass, so I suspect I haven’t seen the last of this, even though I pulled out roots by the mile!

These 2 pics show the whole area as it looks now:

005 

This pic was taken in the sunshine so it’s not very clear.  As you can see, there isn’t much here!  I picked up a bleeding heart plant last weekend but it rained so much that I didn’t get a chance to plant it till  yesterday.  I also added some annuals to the whole section so I have a chance to see how it fills in over the next year.  I turned an old shovel head on it’s side and tucked it up against the white cedar tree in the corner, and plunked an old fork head tines-up in front of the bleeding heart.

006 

I also planted a hosta, a male fern and some annuals and thinned out most of the soloman’s seal.  I still have some over-crowding to the right of this section that I have to deal with and I’ll be adding some mulch but overall I like how this has turned out.  This is one of only a couple of areas of the yard with shade so it’s been a challenge with the rest of the yard.

Don’t forget to stop on over to my selling blog, I’ve sold a few things so have updated those.. recently had 2 orders that are on their way to Japan!

Here’s to a nicer summer than we had last year!  I’m probably going to give up on the garden soon, you can only do so much in such a short season!  I have lots of primming to do on some yard sale finds from last year, stay tuned, hopefully I’ll have something to show you soon.  :)



2 comments:

  1. It's looking wonderful Hayley! I also love the contrasting colors. The lime green sweet potato vine is one of my favorites! It usually grows like crazy and I have to start cutting back within a short time of planting it so this year I planted fewer of them and would you believe they are not growing at all?? Grrr! I don't know what's going on with them. I think I'm gonna have to buy some more so it's not looking so sparse or go with something else. I just love the look of full-growing sweet potato vine, it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie! You leave me the best comments.. LOL.. thanks so much.. check my next post, working on it shortly :)

    I also love the lime green sweet potato vine, it's so beautiful and looks amazing with dark or rich colours! So happy we have it up here. I think you should go back to planting several! LOL... easy for me to say!


    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...