Thursday, November 5, 2009

Recipes?? ME?!?!?

Hi!

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I can't/don't want to/hate to cook. It might stem from my mother who I inherited my talents from.. lol... or the fact that it's just been myself and my daughter for 17 years, so to make a big meal has never made much sense to me.

Having said that, there are some things I can do fairly well..... like a turkey dinner!! Yeah, I know, but it's not all that hard! So, in honour of my American friends, who will be celebrating Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks (a few weeks?? not sure!) .. anyway.. lol.. let's just say it's in November.. k?? K! Oh, right, so in honour (yeeeeeeeeeeess.. with a "U".. I'm Canadian, eh?) of that holiday, I'd like to give you a recipe for Crock Pot Stuffing. This recipe was given to me years ago by a former coworker, let's call her Karen. Cause, that is her name. I've tweaked it a bit over the years but it's basically the same as when she gave it to me. It tastes like it came straight from the bird, without worrying about the possible bacteria issues.. ewwwwwww! Here goes!!

Crock Pot Stuffing

1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups each chopped onion and celery
1/2 to 1 cup dried cranberries, to taste (optional)
1/4 cup parsley, dried or fresh
1 tray sliced, fresh mushrooms (or use 1 can, drained, if you prefer), (optional)
12 cups croutons (I like to use 1/2 regular, 1/2 flavoured, I just buy the cheapo ones)
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cans chicken broth (I use 1 regular and 1 with herbs in it)

Note - spices should be to taste, but you're still trying to get that savoury flavour! We eat pretty basic stuffing up here but I know there is a variety out there, just not sure of all the choices. Substitute or add what you want to make it your own.

Combine all ingredients in your crock pot (I have one of those rectangle metal ones that sit on a "griddle"). Cook on high for 45 minutes, reduce to low and cook 4-8 hours. I stir several times from the bottom, this could be because of the crock pot that I have, as it tends to stick to the bottom if I'm not careful. You just need to gauge what you have and adjust accordingly. This is a very simple recipe and quite portable, so you can bring the stuffing if someone else hosts the dinner! This also makes more stuffing than you'd think so you may have lots of leftovers.

If you're pressed for time, I would suggest chopping the onions and celery the night before and store it in the crock pot in the fridge. Combine the dry ingredients and set aside, then assemble everything in the morning. You may want to add 15 min. to the "high" setting if some of the ingredients are cold. This is really a recipe that you can easily tweak.. and it should still turn out great.

One final option to suggest if you are really, really pressed for time.. cook the entire recipe up the day before (or even the week before and freeze) and reheat in the crock pot or in a baking dish in the oven .. just remember to "fluff" it up.

Good luck, I would love to know what you would change about this recipe to make it yours. I'd like to have some new options to try out for Christmas this year!

Happy Stuffing!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I hate cooking too. Must be because I had to do all the cooking when I was a kid. I am ordering the turkey dinner from Boston Market. by the way, thanksgiving is the 4th thursday in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Wish we had Boston Market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayley, I am going to copy your recipe,its just what I was looking for. As Heather said, our Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday of November..we will be at my sister's in Illinois and since it just Carl, me, sissy and her hub, we decided to do easy and bake a HAM. LOL..but I want stuffing so will make it in the crockpot, voila perfect!

    Thanks!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!! I've made this many times, it usually turns out great unless I neglect it.. lol. It's one of those crock pot recipes that you do need to tend to a bit. Good luck, let me know how it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm, that sounds delish.

    I love crockpot recipes... but then again I LOVE RECIPES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Carol! I'm not much of a cook.. so the recipe file will be thin! lol

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...