Monday, November 2, 2009

Quickie B & As

Hi all!

I just love doing quickie makeovers don't you? The things you already own that need a little facelift, or as in the case in this post, yard sale deals that have potential to be useful to you after they have outlived their life with someone else. Over the summer I got somewhat addicted to hunting deals at yard sales... yes, you know exactly what I mean don't you? LOL... My plan is to make over what I can't use and hopefully be able to sell those items at some point. The following pictures show items that I found at yard sales and have made over for my own use (well at this point anyway!)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BEFORE - I'm not sure what this item actually is, but it's the size of a bed tray. So for $1 I snapped it up..

AFTER - a simple paint job and distressing on the legs and staining the top and I had a new laptop desk.. I have to confess I'm big on sitting in bed while on the computer... especially in winter, my heated mattress pad goes on and I snuggle in by the glow of the laptop ;) haha.. actually this makes a good crafting table too!

BEFORE - I love, love, LOVE this dresser, even with the missing drawer!! I got it at a fundraising yard sale for $10.. I love the drawers inside, it's what really sold me!! The door on the right opens and covers the edge of the one on the left, there is a latch at the top to release the door on the left.. so cool! The detail on this piece is beautiful, anyone have any ideas as to it's age?

Aren't the drawers inside amazing? Love the top divided drawer!

AFTER - I started by stripping the paint off, just to find the residue of a very dark stain underneath. I used a very course grit sandpaper to get to the lighter wood then sanded with a lighter grit to smooth down the grain. I experimented with stain but it was still too dark so I sanded that off and used my Minwax furniture wax but it was a tad too light.. then I had an inspiration and put the stain on after the wax.. and it worked pretty well! So that's a great tip if your stain is too dark!!

I like how it turned out, you can still see a bit of the white paint, and the stain came out in different shades... could be many reasons for this, but it's still a nice piece. I took the one top drawer out and am saving it, perhaps to make into a shelf and hang it on the wall. In it's place, I bought very inexpensive mdf at my local Home Depot and had them cut it down to fit each empty space... total of about $6 for the mdf. I'll be looking for baskets to put into the empty space but until then I can live with it :)  I kept the original hardware because I like it and I think it suits the piece.. for now :)

Gorgeous!! I don't know what this reminds me of but each time I open this dresser I get a giddy feeling.. lol. The drawers don't glide smoothly but it's part of the character and charm of this piece. My completed craft items (for sale ;) are hiding in here!

 
BEFORE - picture frame, yard sale find at $1


After - simple black paint with distressing, even used the same mat and added 3 pics, last one with my daughter and me; we have a Paris theme in the bathroom (will post about it but there are touch-ups required first) so it fits right in! Check in on Tuesday for more on Paris!



BEFORE - dusty rose kitchen stool .. remember that colour? lol... came complete with the requisite Amish children ;) .. I got this at a yard sale with several other items, price probably averaged out to $3


AFTER - simple paint job on the metal parts, stain on the wood



Well there you have it.. simple makeovers that make a big impact for almost $0! Nothing was changed on these items except for the finishes and I've found a use for everything. Of course, in some cases I've had to dispose of things I already owned to make room. The dresser is in my spare bedroom (well, it's actually my dog's bedroom! lol).. I did have a corner cabinet in that room but I just didn't have the space so I sold it this week. I don't regret it, sometimes you just have to let go to enjoy something new.


Thanks for reading.. have a great Monday!

Hayley


ps.. just noticed that Sarah over at Thrifty Decor Chick is having a before & after party.. is this great timing or what?  So I'm going to see if I can figure out how to link this post.  Can't wait to see what everyone else has to show off!! 







16 comments:

  1. Awesome! You did some great redo's! I love the dresser with all those drawers. What a nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley~Your makeovers are outstanding!
    That armoire is my fave! I wonder if you rub candle wax on the bottom of the drawers, if they will glide better.
    I love the computer lap top...I will have to keep a look out for one of those to redo!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diann, I really love the dresser! I was tempted to leave the one drawer, someone suggested it but it looked like it had a black eye..lol. I love the simple re-dos for the instant gratification. Popped over to your blog and left a comment.. love the picture frame/sconce.. had something similar in mind but haven't gotten to it. Take care, Hayley :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janene! They are so much fun, usually.. lol. Why do I keep forgetting that candle wax trick? I'll have to do that when I get home. Part of the problem is that one of the drawers has a small piece missing. I didn't want to get into repairs as it does work, I just have to be careful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woot! Girl, you have some fab b&f's! Love that dresser, and the tray turned out so cool. Thanks for sharing and linking up so we could all see :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Cindy, happy you enjoyed them!!

    Hayley
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Maryann! I checked your blog (following now) and I love that buffet.. what an amazing piece.. omg! Great find, bet those people are kicking themselves now.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Hayley!
    I just "hate" that cupboard!! I'll do you a favour and let oyu send it to me and I'll dispose of it!
    (fingers crossed you'll fall for that one! hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahahaha.. ok Jazy, I'll load it up on Qantas and see you in 30 hours!! .. did I mention we are a package deal? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I love that dresser too~great find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Melissa, I do wish both drawers had been in it, but that's okay, I still love it! I've been following your blog for a while, I think it started with your bathroom or laundry room re-do. What talent missy! I think I read that you're moving? Well as sad as that is, you get to create a whole new home and I'm sure you have a million ideas. Best of luck to you :) ... I'll be checking in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with your dresser. You are lucky that you live far enough and I can't lift big things. Because it would really go missing...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL.. thanks Sandy, I'm relieved now! Here I was thinking we'd have great fun if we lived close to each other. I don't know if that's a great idea now!.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did some great do overs!! I loved the natural wood look on the chest rather than paint it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Ann!!! I appreciate you stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...