Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Travellin' Tuesday - N'awlins!

Hi all and welcome to Travellin' Tuesday! Each week I'll try to highlight places I've been over the past few years. Today, for my first post I'm taking you to New Orleans, Louisiana, one of my favourite places on earth! My first visit was with my daughter in July/08. Neither one of us cared for the humidity as it's much heavier than what we're used to.. and she made sure I knew it.. LOL. Anyway, I went back this past August by myself for a few days and these pictures were taken on that trip. I hope you enjoy them, I have tons more and can bore you for weeks!! :D

First pic is my hotel in the French Quarter, Hotel St. Pierre... it's a bit off the beaten path, on Burgundy, a few blocks from Bourbon Street. This building is where my room was. I opted out of the first room they assigned me.. it just didn't feel right. Now since this hotel is well over a hundred years old and there are old slave quarters here... maybe it was a ghost?? lol.. um, don't believe in them, don't want to start now :S



I went for a walk and took pictures as I went. This one appears to be taken in the fog, but nope.. this is my LENS on my camera fogging up! LOL. My room was so cold with the air conditioning that when I went out into the 800% humidity it steamed up. Took me 2 days to figure it out.. :P .. makes a great pic though!


Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.. I just love these old buildings, I think this would be considered a Creole cottage? .. so this is now a bar on Bourbon Street. This was taken in the early morning, and when the bar is open those greyish shutters are wide open; it's quite a sight at night!


Store in the Riverwalk Mall, Mardi Gras Madness I believe it's called. Got some cool Mardi Gras mini-lights here last summer... stay tuned as I create a mini Mardi Gras Christmas tree for my bedroom (which has a *sort of* Mardi Gras theme.. no, I don't mean it's a booze-soaked party.. haha)


Ok then.. now onto the Steamboat Natchez.. didn't get to do this last summer as the river was shut down for an oil-spill clean-up so I did the river cruise this year... this is such a cool boat! You can just see the calliope at the very top, it plays as the boat leaves the dock.


The paddle, taken from the deck. Can't believe it's made of wood (at least it looked like it)!


Have a great day!
Hayley

4 comments:

  1. oh this makes me wanna visit N'awlins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool down there Jazy, definitely a different atmosphere. Now all I have to do is make it down for Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice boat. I remember from the lake of Geneva in 1978 there were some boats going around the lake with the same propusion system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were used all up and down the Mississippi River from antebellum years through the Civil War into the last century. As far as I know Pieter, this is the last real steamboat in operation in the US. I'm not sure of the origins but possibly Europe.. of course.. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...