Saturday, October 31, 2009

Perfect?? Thanks Sarah ;)


Morning!

As mentioned I didn't do a post yesterday, but for me, techically it is still yesterday. I'm a night owl and it was my habit for years to stay up past 1 a.m. then try to drag myself out of bed by 6 a.m. to start the mad dash to get to work. In recent years I've been better about getting to bed at a decent time, but I'm seriously backsliding lately. I was going to do a quick post of before & after pics if I can find enough to be interesting.. that is, until I clicked on Sarah of Thrifty Decor Chick's post entitled "Perfect".

Sarah made a point of saying that you should love your home as it is today, even if it's not your dream home. Mine definitely is not, my list of "must-haves" on my next "forever" home is not a huge list but there are things I've done without that I desperately want. One thing is a "real porch" .. you know the kind, they have roofs overhead, maybe an outdoor ceiling fan or chandelier, columns and nice railings.. a place to put window boxes or hanging plants, maybe a swing! I also really, REALLY want a fireplace. In my heart I still want a wood-burning fireplace, I love the smell and the crackle, but I am getting older, and let me repeat myself.. am not Caroline Ingalls so the thought of cleaning a fireplace and dealing with flues and dampers, whatever they are.. no longer appeals to me. Not to mention my need for instant gratification! So, someday when I move on from here, I will most likely be re-locating to a different city and I want a different type of house, an older one with character where I can appreciate the little flaws instead of cursing them, or worrying about how I'll deal with them when it's time to sell. A cute little home with a gas fireplace or two, a "real" porch and a warm, cozy feeling.

For the most part, I feel that I've taken Sarah's view on my homes and done what I can to make them my own. This goes for apartments and townhouses that I've rented, and homes that I've owned. Most of the time I have painted although our home previous to this one was a large apartment and I just didn't have the energy! So I just did what I normally do, paint or not.. fill my walls with the things I love, pack away things I may be transitioning away from but not ready to part with, purchase new or new-to-me furniture and home decor... and when it's all done, sit back and enjoy being home... until I get itchy feet and move again.. lol. So for me, my "dream" home will be the one that I want to stay in for the rest of my life, the one that, in the back of my mind, I don't think of as temporary.

Until then, I will enjoy my Home Sweet Home... of course I still reserve the right to change things along the way!! :D Thanks Sarah!

Well, exhaustion calls, I need to get some sleep as I'm working on something tomorrow for my kitchen that I want to get posted on Sunday.

Happy Halloween!

Hayley...


ps.. felt bad that there are no pics so I posted one of my porch, had it built in August over a small concrete stoop.. still no sidewalk yet.. :S

10 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley, your home is very charming. I woke up this morning not feeling real sharp, walked into the living room and its such a mess..boxes in here that need to be put away, dog toys all over, the whole house needs a good vacuuming. then I READ Sarah's post also and felt like you do. For us this is our forever home, at least for a while, we have moved a lot the last few years, but trying to put our previous 2600square foot home into just under 1400 is a huge challenge for two pack rats. Anyway didnt mean to write a novel but I know exactly how you feel my friend...
    hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley~I so feel your pain/want.
    I (and I am sure many others) feel the same as you.
    I really don't think that anyone is satisfied with the home they have.
    I would love another bathroom and a larger kitchen. Will I ever get that? Who knows, but it is fun to decorate what I have, and make it homey for my family.
    I hope that someday you get your dream home...until then enjoy the great home you have!
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww.. Barb & Janene, thanks for the lovely comments.. and Barb.. blogger of the week.. I'm going to cry, you are so sweet! Yes ladies, it's so easy to get caught up in the "I wishes" and "I wants" that we forget to appreciate what we have. If there is just one room or even one wall in your home that you love, then honour that room/wall and do what you can to bring the rest of your home into it. This is where you wake up, go to sleep, return to from work, errands etc. It doesn't need to be fancy, just needs to feel like home to you. This is what I love about these types of blogs, people sharing what they do have, what they've come up with, how they make a home on little money, we can all do it, just love what you love! I wish I was closer to help you Barb, organizing is also something I love to do. Ladies, have a Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome Sarah, blogland is fun and people like you really add to it.. best wishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hayley,if you need to get out of the snow this winter, come down! We are just outside of Palm Springs and girl.I could use your help. I just met you but I feel like I have known you a very long time..
    Hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to Barb! However my daughter and I are going to Cozumel for her spring break in Feb.. they call it reading week up here. You're in California right? I get some of these cities/states mixed up.. lol. I will visit some day, there are so many places I want to travel to in the world, I wish I'd started earlier in life! Oh well.. it's never too late, right? What do you need help with? If you want to organize and I can give you tips, let me know on FB.. would love to help.

    What a sweet comment about feeling like you've known me a long time.. so nice and I'm happy to have "met" you as well. You can't have too many friends.. life is too short and not meant to journey through alone.

    Here are some (((hugs))) right back at you!
    :D Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hayley, wow I would love to go to Cozumel someday..and to go with your daughter says a lot about your relationship, sounds wonderful. I may run some stuff by you..my office is my waterloo, so to speak. M.E.S.S. Its small, i just don't know where to start. I go in there, look around, sigh and walk out..I do need to get in there, i have been trying to get files organized mostly I have to toss. but its a fun room, martini girls, wine, fun stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I travel mostly with her because I don't have a travel buddy.. lol.. what that means of course is that I pay for everything! Well we love to go places and I want her to have memories, so I think we both enjoy it. We've been on several trips over the last 3 years and there are more pics on the horizon.. stay tuned for Travellin' Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Prim it Up! Friends: I love to read your comments.. please feel free to give me your opinions and advice, leave me a link to a related blog, or just say hello ...